This strawberry rhubarb sauce is thick and dense, a self-contained dessert, more like a new-age jell-o (whatever you do, don’t call it that! Just sayin’!)
Dare I share the name we give this delightful strawberry Rhubarb sauce in my house? OK, but please don’t tell on me: I don’t want anyone saying Bubbie has a naughty mouth (that’s right, my grandchildren are practicing their reading skills!) Poopoo sauce, that’s what! It’s fabulous, OK? We go through gallons of it during Passover! Frozen fruit is the best: Unprocessed, unsweetened of course!
- 4 cups cranberry or pomegranate juice
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 2 12-ounce bags frozen unsweetened sliced rhubarb
- 1 15 ounce can smooth cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup creme de cassis, or other good berry liqueur
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup kuzu, arrowroot or cornstarch (Passover: potato starch), dissolved in a little cold water in a small bowl until smooth
Bring all but last ingredient to boil in a medium pot. Reduce flame to low and cook 5 more minutes. Add starch mixture and cook only till mixture begins to boils and looks clear (a minute or two). The mixture will be chunky. If you like it smooth, cream it with an immersion blender. Pour into glass jars or into individual serving cups, and refrigerate: the mixture will firm up.