I make Mock Crab salad at a moment’s notice.
I made it this Shabbos, for my husband and I, as I was hatching a meal spartan enough (and of course delicious enough!) to atone for some of the magnificent meals we indulged in the whole Pessach week. Don’t get me wrong: No regrets about our splurge! It’s just that, ummm, we got to get back in control!
Don’t worry about us: this mock crab salad was a feast! And no cooking whatsoever. I took the mock crab and the corn right out of the freezer to thaw a couple hours before lunch, and then proceeded to tinker with what food matches appealed to me the most in my pantry and my refrigerator. This mock crab salad is a keeper. Mock Crab, as its name suggest, is not real crab but it is real and natural fish, so I have no quarrel whatsoever with it.
PS: Don’t get caught at my house as a surprise guest when my husband and I are alone for Shabbos, or you would be scratching your head, asking yourselves if all those shabbos feasts at our house you were told about were for real. A big salad as a meal just entre nous? Our favorite! I love it when my (Sephardi) mother asks me what I made for Shabbos when we have no company: I always make up a dreamy white-lie dinner menu, the one guests would love to come to! So: Here comes my no-cook mock crab salad lunch!
If you think you might have leftover salad:
Leave that leftover without avocado, and put it in at serving time so it doesn’t get mushy.
- 1 pound frozen mock crab, thawed and flaked (use your fingers)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 3 ribs celery, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 sweet apple, such as gala or fudji, diced small
- 3 scallions, sliced very thin
- 6-8 radishes, diced small
- 1/2 medium yellow pepper, diced small
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unfiltered cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder or prepared white horseradish
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 tablespoons curry, if you want a curried dish
- 6 cups mixed greens of your choice, optional (but recommended if you are making this dish a larger main course salad)
- Optional: 1/4 cup roasted peanuts or cashews, chopped
Place all salad ingredients in a salad platter. Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, pour over the salad and toss. Line each serving plate with salad greens, if using. If desired, sprinkle with the nuts.