Rosh Hashanah couldn’t be too far off. It is to the High Holidays what latkas are to Chanukah. This honey cake is for keeps! I actually succeed in turning quite a few people on to my honey cake. It is moist and spicy and easy to love; I trust it will make you forget all the indignities of past dried-out and brittle honey cakes. I make it several ways, all scrumptious, but this is one of my favorite.
As long as we are on the subject of honey, try my honey cookies too!
The secret ingredient in my honey cake is orange marmalade
The marmalade is what gives my cake its lustrous color, and you love the contrast between the orange peel and the honey
No problem making it gluten-free.
Proceed with the recipe, using the gluten-free flour (or flour combo) of your choice, to total 3 cups just as with regular flour, and include 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. I recommend not making a cake out of it, but using much smaller molds. Pour the batter into muffin molds, and bake about 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- 1 cup oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar or sucanat
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup orange marmalade, try your best for all-fruit
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup strong coffee, decaf OK, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons rum or brandy
- 3 cups flour: all purpose, whole wheat pastry or spelt (spelt my favorite)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice and ginger
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (optional: many people have a custom of not eating nuts on Rosh Hashanah)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Whisk the first set of ingredients in a food processor.
Mix the second set of ingredients in a bowl, and add in 3 additions to the egg mixture, using the pulse button, mixing each time only until combined. if you are adding the almonds, fold them in by hand with a spoon.
Pour the batter into a greased tube pan or 10 inch pan, or 11x14 inch pan, and bake 1 hour, or a little longer, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert on a rack to cool.