Endives are wonderful in this salad.
The dish is very easily adapted for Passover, and is equally at home as a salad or a side dish with grilled fish or chicken.
We all notice walnut oil, which is an expensive treat year-round, is plentiful and reasonably priced during Passover: Go for it!
- 1 Anjou pear, unpeeled, cored, cut in quarters and sliced
- 3 endives, cut in thin wedges (make sure they stay attached at the top)
- 2 ribs celery, peeled and sliced very thin
- 1 avocado, cut in thin wedges
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, or walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon style mustard (omit on Passover)
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder, or prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts (300 degree oven, about 15 minutes)
Place the apple or pear, endives, celery and avocado in a shallow salad bowl or platter. Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, and pour evenly over the salad. Just before serving, sprinkle the walnuts over the salad.