What just happened to salsa as we know it? You know, tomato Salsa? Once in a while, give tomatoes a day off and explore other exciting salsa recipes!
This is one of several Corn Salsa recipes I have developed, and is particularly delightful when sweet summer corn is in season and plentiful, and can be used fresh and raw. I am calling this dish affectionately but somewhat unconventionally corn salsa. We like to think of all salsas as hot and pungent, but this one is milder, and aims at starring textures rather than spices.
Jicama is all crunch, colorful and bright
Jicama tends to err on the bland side when used by itself, but it contributes a great crunch and absorbs all the other good flavors it is paired with.
Attention Salad Lovers: Main course Salsa!
On salad days you can easily make a main course out of this corn salsa, a nice Buddha bowl, by throwing in (choose one) chunks of cheese, tofu or diced cooked chicken, even chickpeas or beans if you want to make it vegetarian, and some shredded romaine, watercress or endive.
The processor can be of great help to you in this corn salsa recipe if you watch the textures carefully, and get a chopped but not mushy texture. The results may not look as pristine as if you diced the vegetables by hand, but if you get busy with several other kitchen tasks at party time, the finished salsa made in the food processor will be quite acceptable.
- 1 large fragrant apple, such as gala, fuji, pink lady or honeycrisp, unpeeled, diced small
- 1 small head jicama, diced small
- 1 medium-ripe avocado, diced small
- 2 ribs celery, peeled, sliced very thin
- 1 small red onion, minced
- Kernels of 2 ears of corn (out of season, settle for 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves (if you don't like cilantro, use parsley or dill)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Salt and ground white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder mixed with a few drops water, or prepared white horseradish
Place all corn salsa salad ingredients in a bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients together, and pour over the corn salsa. Mix gently but thoroughly