This delightful chocolate salami recipe has a funny name, because each slice is specked with the nuts and graham crackers and looks as funky as salami. No problem making the chocolate salami gluten-free! No need to slice all the chocolate salami rolls right away, leave the unused logs in the freezer or refrigerator until ready to use: They keep very well. Vegan and gluten-free friendly to boot!
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup natural margarine spread (health food stores)
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, bourbon, or unflavored brandy (liquor stores)
- 2 cups best-quality semisweet chocolate chips or grated chocolate
- ¼ cup pure cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder, decaf OK
- 1 cup toasted pecans or hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ box (7½ ounces total) unflavored graham crackers, gluten-free OK, broken by hand into small pieces
Melt the first set of ingredients on a very low flame, stirring. Turn off the flame. Add the nuts and graham crackers and combine thoroughly. Refrigerate briefly to let the mixture firm up so it’s easier to handle. Shape into logs about 2 inches in diameter and wrap tightly in plastic, securing the ends with twisters. You will get 5 to 6 logs total. Refrigerate the logs 2 to 3 hours, until firm (or freeze the logs you will use later). Unwrap and slice ½ inch thick with a sharp serrated knife. Makes about 6 dozen slices (each log makes about a dozen slices). Keep the slices refrigerated until serving time.