Roasted vegetable lasagna is only one of the many ways you can enjoy lasagna. Vegetable lasagna can be made with a great variety of vegetables, variety of fillings (vegetables, tomato sauce, spinach, etc.), all good. Try this no-tomato vegetable lasagna variation, my favorite. Gluten-free vegetable lasagna: You should have no trouble finding GF lasagna noodles at your health food store.
Check out the link where I pour my heart out about Lasagna, all variations, including No-Noodle Lasagna!
- 2 red peppers, diced small
- 2 large red onions, diced small
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, or 8
- medium, diced small
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced small
- 2 large zucchini, diced small
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, boiled until just tender, and drained
- 1∕3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- ½ cup flour, any flour
- 4 cups milk, low-fat OK
- 1½ cups freshly (yes, it makes the whole difference!) grated Parmesan or other strong cheese (such as Provolone or kashkaval), plus ½ cup more for sprinkling on the top
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Good pinch nutmeg
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spray with vegetable oil spray. Place all vegetables on the sheet in one layer (do not pile, use 2-sheet pans). Spray again. Roast for 20 minutes, or a little longer, until dark and roasted.
Reduce the temperature to 375°F.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat the oil in a skillet. In a food processor, coarsely grind the onion and garlic and add to the skillet. Sautéuntil translucent. Add the flour and cook just a few seconds until golden. Add the milk in a slow stream, whisking. Stir in all remaining sauce ingredients.
Spread a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of an 11-by-14-inch pan. Top with a layer of lasagna noodles, overlapping them slightly. Top with a third of the vegetable mixture. Repeat: sauce, noodles, vegetables, sauce, noodles, vegetables. Sprinkle the top with the reserved Parmesan.
Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 20 minutes. Do not over-bake, or it will dry. Serve hot.