I am often asked if I intend to write a cookbook on the immensely popular subject.
No I don’t – it’s not necessary: there’s no end of crockpot recipes and cookbooks out there.
But I do intend to point out what a wonderful utensil the crockpot is, and hope you get familiar with it: It will make you look like a pro each time: It requires very little liquid and intensifies flavors, yielding a succulent finished dish.
Crockpot Recipes need no maintenance, or hardly any!
The flavors are sealed in so perfectly that you need no preliminary steps. Set aside just ten minutes in the morning to plug in your crockpot and set it on low temperature (300ºF), throw in whatever you like, cover, and go about your business as usual.
Slow cooking is going on, unassisted and solidly reliable.
A complete delicious dinner will be ready when you are.
The following crockpot recipes (scroll down for added links) are only an example of the many combinations you can throw in, and can be doubled very easily.
I prefer Crockpots with a real temperature dial, as opposed to the low-tech and very approximate Low or High settings. My experience with that is, even the low temperature setting is too high. It would only be a small annoyance on weekdays, but on Shabbos it is a real nuisance.
The following is my “Mother Crockpot Recipe”. It works great the vegetarian way too!
You will be pleased to find several more crockpot recipes in this post
All delicious, and all easy. Play with the possibilities, and get an exciting dinner each time!
Crockpot Chicken Vegetable Stew
- 2 dozens very small new potatoes, scrubbed
- 8 very thin long carrots (not baby carrots! They may be cute and crunchy, but they are tasteless), scrubbed
- 6 ribs celery
- 3 small red onions, peeled and halved
- 1 head garlic, point cut off to expose the cloves, cloves separated
- 1 pound mushrooms, the smaller the better
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, or 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 3 pounds chicken, turkey, cubed tofu, cubed tempeh, beef chunks. Choose one.
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Spices of your choice: thyme, bay leaves, turmeric, paprika, etc. Choose 2
- Salt and pepper to taste.