Carrot Ginger Soup stars the humble carrot, with all the flavorings that compliment it.
Don’t be afraid of serving carrot ginger soup to your guests, it doesn’t taste nearly as modest as the ingredient list reads. A great vegetarian soup, and gluten-free without even trying!
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large red onions, quartered
- 2 inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons curry, a little more if you like it hotter
- 4 large carrots, cut in large chunks
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups natural (unfiltered) apple juice
- 1/2 cup millet (or other quick-cooking grain: steel-cut oats, teff, amaranth, tiny red lentils, etc…)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil in heavy pot. In a food processor, coarsely grind the onions and add to the hot oil. Reduce the flame to medium and fry, stirring occasionally, until very dark brown. This step will take about 20 minutes. Add the ginger and curry and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Add all but last ingredient. Bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to medium and cook, covered, 30 minutes. Cream the soup with an immersion blender. Adjust the texture and seasonings.