Is this salad combo wacky enough for you? I admit this watermelon feta tomato salad is quite a stretch from the way watermelon is usually enjoyed: only one small good problem— watermelon feta tomato salad is fabulous, so go for it! You must have noticed as I did that seeded watermelon is much tastier than the “convenient” and bland seedless hybrid. I recommend using the familiar watermelon; just spit out the seeds discreetly, OK?
Just one more wonderful thing while you are making watermelon feta tomato salad: did you know you could juice watermelon, rind and all? Watermelon juice: Who knew? Delicious, and a nutritional powerhouse!
- 8 cups watermelon, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- 1 cup fresh mint, packed, sliced very thin
- 6 scallions sliced thin
- ¼ cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (you might need no salt at all)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
Place all salad ingredients in a platter. Whisk the dressing ingredients in a little bowl and pour over the salad. Mixvery gently so as not to extract moisture.