This dish is equally at home as a salad and as a side dish. I never submit to the tyranny of frying eggplant, which is not only time consuming, but gobbles up lots of oil. I have included a mushroom-eggplant combo, using exactly the same recipe, but throwing in small mushrooms, white button or cremini.
- 2 medium eggplant, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then diced
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 1 2 inch piece ginger, grated
- 3-4 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons bottled hot sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 scallions, sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet with foil. Heavily spray the foil with vegetable spray. Add the eggplant cubes in one layer, and spray again with vegetable spray. Roast 20-30 minutes, or until dark and very soft. Transfer to a mixing bowl, with all remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Serve at room temperature.
Variation: Throw in 1 pound saute cremini mushrooms or button mushrooms, the smaller the better, and proceed just as above.