Chocolate and peanut butter: A marriage made in cookie heaven! These are so much fun, cracked all over and forming dark ridges on the white-dusted tops: hide them well! Dear Gluten-Free Friends, boy you’ll be happy to know these are every bit as delicious made with Gluten-Free flour!
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter, try your best for unsalted 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder, decaf OK
- 1 cup best-quality semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup water, milk or dairy-free milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt (skip if you used salted peanut butter)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups flour: all-purpose, whole wheat pastry, or spelt (gluten-free: use any GF flour)
- Powdered sugar, sifted
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Melt the peanut butter, coffee powder, chocolate chips, sugar, cocoa and water on a very low flame in a saucepan. This step will only take a minute or two, so please watch it carefully. Turn off the flame, let the mixture cool slightly, and add all remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly by hand. Form little balls and roll them in the powdered sugar. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until they look cracked all over. Makes 4 dozen. Store in an airtight cookie tin.