This trio is a real winner, besides being a real nutritional powerhouse, and the sage brings all the flavors together. This will do excellently, alone or as a side dish with poultry or sliced steak. The food processor will do all your slicing and grating in a wink of an eye!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith (green) apples, unpeeled and coarsely grated
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 small head white cabbage, sliced very thin
- 2 large heads fennel, heads sliced very thin, fronds chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine (or natural apple cider, if you would rather not use alcohol)
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sprig sage, leaves only, chopped
Heat the oil in a heavy pan. Add onion and apples and sauté until translucent. Add the sugar, and fry 2 to 3 more minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium low. Cover and cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very soft and most liquids evaporate. Serve warm or at room temperature.