Look what happened to coleslaw! Well, why not? A slaw being nothing more than shredded cabbage as the first building block—have fun adding all the good stuff, with minimal effort on your part, thanks to the food processor. I can’t tell you enough how good and good-for-you green apples are in salads and side dishes! You want this salad to be pale green and white, so nothing brightly colored such as carrots or red peppers or radishes!
- 1 small head cabbage or nappa, shredded thin (slicing disk)
- 4 ribs celery, peeled and grated (slicing disk)
- 1 seedless cucumber, grated coarse (shredding disk)
- 2 Granny Smith (green) apples, unpeeled, cored, and grated coarse (shredding disk)
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced very thin
- 1 bunch dill, minced (chopping blade)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar (health food stores)
- 2 tablespoons prepared white horseradish, or 2 tablespoons wasabi diluted in a little
- cold water
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Place all the vegetables in a mixing bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients thoroughly and pour over the mixture. Toss gently so as not to extract moisture. Store refrigerated in glass jars. Makes about 2 quarts. Serve at room temperature.
- Throw in some grated daikon, or some sliced endive or fennel.
- Thrown in some diced orange or grapefruit slices.